Friday, March 22, 2013

Friday Inspiration - Mastering the Art of Embroidery

It's not like I need another how-to embroidery book - I have a serious sized stack of them!  However, I recently heard of a new one that sounded so promising I ordered it.  Am I ever glad!  Sophie Long's Mastering the Art of Embroidery is a how-to, an inspirational piece, a history book, and a look at current embroidery artists.  Sophie is a graduate of the Royal School of Needlework and is one of the embroiderers who worked on Kate Middleton's wedding dress.  You can see more of her work here on her website.   

Here's a look at the table of contents - there are quite a few types of embroidery that are often only included in advanced books.


Even if I never planned on learning anything new from it (and I do have plans!), it would have been worth the price just for the hundreds of gorgeous photos of embroidered works.  I'm discovering new artists, like Jazmin Berakha.  She has at least two wonderful pieces in the book, including this one:

Jazmin Berakha, hand embroidered using cotton embroidery floss on linen.

And I'm cheering to see the work of artists I follow and enjoy, like Monika Kinner-Whalen.  Among her several pieces included is one of my favorites, My Sweet Prairie.  I wrote a Friday Inspiration on her about a year and a half ago in case you're interested in seeing more of her work.  In fact, it was Monika who let me know this book was about to be published - thank you!

Monika Kinner-Whalen, My Sweet Prairie, 2012.  Hand and free machine embroidery.

Each type of embroidery covered has a little bit of history about it and clear instructions with illustrations to get you started.


I've always been fascinated with white work and eyelet, like this beautiful white work peacock done by Sophie:

Sophie Long, white work on linen.

Between the inspirational photos, the instructions, and the profile (one of many profiles in the book) of white work artist Jenny Adin Christie, I'm getting the itch to try a piece!


Happy Creating!  Deborah

No comments:

Post a Comment