Friday, December 14, 2012

Friday Inspiration - Emerald!

If you haven't heard, Pantone has declared Emerald the color of the year for 2013.  Okay, you may be asking - what is Pantone and why do they come out with a color of the year?  Color is a tricky thing!  One person's navy is another's midnight blue - you've probably run into this problem when matching navys .... or blacks or creams .... So there are color standard and matching companies who set a criteria for what a color is.  Not everyone uses them, obviously, but it helps!  Pantone, headquartered in New Jersey, is pretty much the world authority on color standards and is used by designers of all types.  So every year they come out with color trend forecasts and what they feel will be the "hot" color of the year.  I personally am happy to think we'll be seeing more Emerald!  Last year's color was Tangerine Tango and I am not really someone who looks good in orange (think pumpkin person) and don't have many oranges in my home decor.  But Emerald ... green was my first favorite color and it's still one I use a lot!  

Some Emerald highlights:

Keira Knightley's satin dress in Atonement - warning: satin finds every curve and bump on your body and broadcasts it so, unless you look like Keira, if you make a gorgeous fairy godmother costume from satin you will probably not like how you look.  I speak from experience!


I love this Emerald shawl from Art Fire!  I think I need to find a similar pattern and make me one.


Marimekko's Unikko design comes in Emerald!  Textile Art carries it.


Black combined with Emerald in this vintage crocheted afghan is stunning!  The free pattern is here.


And even though it's not quite 2013, here's my first take on designing with Emerald green (with a few close relatives).  It's ice dyed with Procion dyes.


Happy Creating!  Deborah



1 comment: