Wednesday, August 25, 2010

Wednesday Sewing: One Yard Apron


I'm not extremely domestic - anyone who comes to my house knows that by the clutter - but I do love to cook and hate to keep getting grease stains out of my shirts.  I'm a messy cook!  So ... I've been looking for an apron pattern for awhile.  Something short, ties in the back but not at the neck, has a big pocket but not so big it flops over, and pretty but not ruffly or lacy.  I tried an apron like my Nana wore (she always had one on!), but didn't like the zipper.  After looking at countless patterns, I realized I could make my own with all the features I liked.  So here it is - my perfect apron.  Feel free to change anything that doesn't make it your perfect apron!

Materials List:
*1 yard 42 - 45 inch cotton/cotton blend fabric, washed and dried
*approximately 3 3/4 yards of double fold bias tape
*machine thread - matching or contrasting
*pattern (click here)

Oh boy, did I ever learn a lot about printer registration figuring out how to make a PDF of this pattern!  You will get 14 sheets of paper - cut them out on the dotted lines and tape them together in the order shown on the first page.  You don't have to tape the first page with the rest!

When you have all the papers taped together, cut the two pattern pieces out - the apron and the pocket.


Fold your fabric along the bias as shown below.  Because your fabric is not a yard square, you will have a single layer strip that will be used for the apron ties.


Lay out your pattern pieces on the fabric, following the diagram on the first page.


Cut out the apron body and pocket pieces, being sure to leave the single layer strip (where my pins are sitting) for the ties.  Cut this piece into two rectangles of 25 x 3 inches each.  If for some reason you don't end up with a strip that's 6 inches wide, just make your ties as wide as you can.  They'll turn out a little narrower, but will work just fine.  This happened with me with the bat fabric.


The apron body has dots to help with positioning the pocket.  When we had dots on a previous pattern, we just clipped the seam to mark them.  That won't work with positioning dots - we need to mark them with either thread or chalk/disappearing fabric ink.  To mark with thread, use a thread color that will show up well against the fabric.  Put the needle down through the dot and the fabric and then bring it back up again close to where you went down, leaving a tail.


Put the needle down again, leaving a large loop and bring the needle up one final time.



Cut the loop at the top and pull the pattern off.


Pull the top layer of fabric up, making sure to not pull it free of the threads.  Cut the thread so that each layer of fabric has thread markers.


You'll use these marks later to help you place the pocket.

Next, pin the bias tape to the apron edges, beginning at the top of the neck.  Put the shorter edge in front and the longer in back - this makes it easier to make sure you catch the back when you sew it on.  Bias tape is cut on the bias so it is stretchy - use this stretchiness to pull the bias tape smoothly around the corners.


When you get back to where you started pinning the bias tape on, you can either turn the ends under or make a more elegant joining.  Overlap the two ends of the bias tape two inches (we are using two inch bias tape - if using a different size, overlap it by the size of the tape).


Open up both sides of bias tape.


Overlap the two ends at a right angle, right sides together and sew diagonally.  Trim the seam to about 1/4 inch.


Refold and pin in place.


Pin bias tape around the neckhole.


 Pin bias tape around curved edge of the pocket.


Pin bias tape across the top of the pocket, overlapping on each end by about 1/2 inch.


Turn ends under and pin.


Sew top of pocket binding close to bottom edge.


Lay apron body flat.  Place pocket by matching edges and corners of pockets to dots.  Pin in place.  Okay - here's a disclaimer/warning!  These dots keep migrating every time I adjust the pattern - so, come close!  It may not fit exactly.  Sew pocket close to inside edge of bias tape. 


To attach the pocket on more securely, I make a figure like this at each corner


If you want a pocket that does not flop open, sew down the middle.  To do this, fold pocket in half and mark top and bottom. 


Draw a line between the marks.  Sew on both sides of the line.


Fold apron tie in half.  Sew across one short end and along the long side.  Trim corner as shown.


Turn right side out and press.  I find a long, thin object (like a pencil) makes turning easier.  Turn edges of opening under about 1/2 inch.


Pin open edge of apron tie up to side of apron as shown, overlapping about 1/2 inch.  Sew in place.


Iron and you're ready to cook!  Tonight's menu is artichoke heart/red pepper pizza ... Yumm!


Happy Creating!  Deborah

17 comments:

  1. Hello!
    I saw you on craft gossip and i've been looking around! I will follow you because I did like your blog, when you have the time come and visit me! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. very cute! Would be a great present for the girlfriends.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love your aprons! But please please tell me where you got the cat hooks!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I got it years ago from a company that's unfortunately no longer in business. I'm not sure if anyone else carries it!

      Delete
  4. This pattern link takes me to a page that asks for a Google username and password. I don't have a Google account that I remember. Is there another way? Thanks, Patty

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This problems seems to recur from time to time - I just opened it using Explorer and was not asked for that info so you might try that and see if it works. If not, send your email address to the email address on my profile page and I'll send it to you directly.

      Delete
  5. merci beaucoup pour ce patron

    ReplyDelete
  6. All I get is an error message when I try to access the pattern.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not getting an error message when I access it, so I'm not sure what is happening! If you are still not able to access it, send me a note to the email address listed in my profile and I'll see if I can send it to you directly. We're currently having on and off internet problems, so be patient if I don't get back to you right away!

      Delete
  7. what a cute 1 yard apron! hope to make some soon with my new hawaiian print fabric! thank you for the pattern!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Do u have a pattern for little kids from pee K to 8 years old.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't - I have one for toddler through pre-K here http://artthreads.blogspot.com/2011/09/wednesday-sewing-toddler-apron.html but not to 8 years old. Maybe shorten this one yard pattern in the hem and at the waist area?

      Delete
  9. I can't wait to try your apron, I love to give these to my sisters as gifts and I love that this does not have a tie at the neck. I'll see if I can post a pic when I make my mom's... she is moving to CA from FL to stay close to her daughters. Your instructions are amazing... thanks for all the closeups...learned a lot about bias tape. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'd love to see a picture of the one you make your mom!

      Delete
  10. Exactly what I am looking for. I have searched and searched I want to surprise a Youtube friend that cooks and paints with one or 2 maybe 3 LOL this is perfect!! I possible might even make one reversible with fabric on both sides with no bias tape will see how the first one goes, thank you again so much for making this pattern, Evelyn

    ReplyDelete